Sunday, November 28, 2010

Chef Rory Macaroni

Chef Rory Macaroni comes from Maribeth Abrams' Tofu 1-2-3 which introduced me to vegan home-made "cheese" products. The three ingredients used to create a "cheese" flavor are: sweet white miso, nutritional yeast flakes, and silken tofu, which I mentioned in my last blog.


Silken tofu can often be found at a local grocery store and is often used for creams and sauces. I would not recommend using block tofu as a substitute for silken tofu.


I found the other two products at a health food store (Down to Earth).

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
1 pound cooked pasta
1 (12 ounce) package soft silken tofu (1 1/2 cups, I used firm)
5 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
2 tablespoons sweet white miso
4 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt (I omitted)
1/4 teaspoon onion granules

I blended the tomato sauce with the miso, yeast flakes, lemon, onion, and tofu. It usually blends smooths but it takes a few good pulses to do so.


Next I mixed the blended sauce into the cooked pasta, and heated.


non-cow-exploiting "cheese" win? Ben Bush thinks so. It's creamily delicious!

1 comment:

  1. Looks lip smacking good to me! Yummy! I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete